Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
That 3d thing
Nothing new today, sorry. I spent half an hour trying to convince the Image Creator from Microsoft Designer to generate a hand holding a wand in the perspective of a first person shooter. Then I didn't have time to do more than making the player able to shoot (https://naalaa.com/tmp/example_6.mp4). I might as well add collision checking between the bullets and the enemies and add some sound effects (the engine actually has built in support for very simple "3d sound", basicly just stereo effect for location and volume drop-off based on distance). Hopefully tomorrow.
Your need to apologize is not warranted as I was not expecting anything "new". As a single developer, your performance is quite remarkable... Maybe, just maybe, you might be able to "slow things down" to prepare yourself for a relaxing weekend? That way, you will be totally refreshed on Monday, to begin work on the Neural Interface.... Moo Ha Ha Ha...
Logic is the beginning of wisdom.
(05-30-2024, 07:43 PM)johnno56 Wrote: ... That way, you will be totally refreshed on Monday, to begin work on the Neural Interface.... Moo Ha Ha Ha...

Then NAALAA stands for Neural Advanced AI Language At All

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Hmm... Food for thought...
Here's step 6. Watch the video with your volume set to max before you decide to download and run the example.

https://naalaa.com/tmp/example_6_2.mp4

It is all code, no images or fun, in this step. That's why I added the music to cheer you up.

... I really need to add support for loading mp3 files.

Attached Files
.zip   ea_tutorial.zip (Size: 10.72 MB / Downloads: 17)
(05-31-2024, 09:00 PM)Marcus Wrote: Here's step 6. ...

I finally knew a trick how to make the pumpkin disappeared without a trace ....  Big Grin

click each image to zoom in
1. before waving the magic wand
2. after waving the magic wand

Code:
function CreatePlayerBullet(id, img, x, y, z, dx, dy, dz)
if objs[i].id = PUMPKIN_ID
  if .CollidesWith(objs[i])
    objs[i].Hit(.dx, .dz)
    EA_RemoveObject(this)       'remove bullet
    EA_RemoveObject(objs[i])    'remove pumpkin
    break
  endif
endif
endfunc

Next, I should learn how to code what will happen if a pumpkin hit me directly onto my face ... lol ... and when it happens I don't want to use EA_RemoveObject(Player) ....lol....
Thank you for the step 6, I hope it isn't the final tutorial for the episode of "Pumpkin in a Dungeon" ... Big Grin
(06-01-2024, 06:56 AM)1micha.elok Wrote:
(05-31-2024, 09:00 PM)Marcus Wrote: Here's step 6. ...

I finally knew a trick how to make the pumpkin disappeared without a trace ....  Big Grin

click each image to zoom in
1. before waving the magic wand
2. after waving the magic wand

Code:
function CreatePlayerBullet(id, img, x, y, z, dx, dy, dz)
if objs[i].id = PUMPKIN_ID
  if .CollidesWith(objs[i])
    objs[i].Hit(.dx, .dz)
    EA_RemoveObject(this)       'remove bullet
    EA_RemoveObject(objs[i])    'remove pumpkin
    break
  endif
endif
endfunc

Next, I should learn how to code what will happen if a pumpkin hit me directly onto my face ... lol ... and when it happens I don't want to use EA_RemoveObject(Player) ....lol....
Thank you for the step 6, I hope it isn't  the final tutorial for the episode of "Pumpkin in a Dungeon" ... Big Grin

I want to show you how to use sprites that have visual directions (like the enemies in wolfenstein 3d and doom). It's got nothing to do with the engine, just some maths. And I can show you how to set up collision polygons for static objects, like barrel sprites that the player and enemies should be able to bump into. Then I think we're done with sprites.

Using sprites as the only type of game objects can be enough. Just look at modern boomer shooters such as Warhammer 40k: Boltgun and Project Warlock. But I must of course also show you how to use 3d models. Even if you choose to use sprites for enemies and such, you can make the environment look less boring by using 3d models.
I created a pumpkin model and wrote code to render it just to be able to extract frames for a sprite with eight directions. I guess I can use the model when we get into that though. No, I'm no good at modelling. This is truely gonna look like crap when I add it to the "game" Big Grin

https://naalaa.com/tmp/pumpkin_anim.mp4

[Image: pumpkin_dirs.png]
Cool animation! By the way, what are you using for the modelling? Curious. Not judging...
(06-01-2024, 12:34 PM)johnno56 Wrote: Cool animation! By the way, what are you using for the modelling? Curious. Not judging...

I'm using my homemade modeling program, which is close to useless. I remember buying Milkshape 3D a long time ago, but I don't have a clue about where my license went, maybe I should look it up. Sometimes I think it would just be easier to write a program for creating, for example, low poly humanoid models and add settings for all physical properties. It would probably take me less time than learning to use and then use some modeling tool :/

[Image: pumpkin_model.jpg]

Right now I'm mad about the anti malware thing in Windows. All of a sudden it goes apeshit whenever I run an n7 program. It hogs all the cpu and makes the 3d things run at like 30fps. I've excluded my project folder in the settings, but obviously the "live protection" doesn't give a poop about that.

Here's what the new sprite looks like in the "game", added an outline since the other sprites have those.

https://naalaa.com/tmp/pumpkin_directions.mp4

It required like 2 lines of code to make it select the proper cel. So I won't release a new tutorial step until I've added some more things, and ... it's another busy weekend.