Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3D Modelling - Blender
Marcus,

Many years ago, and I may have mentioned this before, I attempted to use Blender to add objects to Cube2 (sauerbratten) primarily to see if I could and to determine how much work was involved. I had no idea about making models - and still don't - so I used a 'tutorial' to make a 3D wooden crate and a 3D vase.

Initially, the overall "look" of Blender was, for want of a better word, intimidating... Thankfully I had the tutorials to work through. I think it took about half an hour to create each model. Repetition would obviously improve efficiency, but both objects were created successfully... mind you, the final 'size' of the models, looked a little out of place... I think they were too big...

Back then I wasn't interested in 'animations'... ha... I had enough trouble getting my head around static objects... lol

I went online to check 3D modelling software... Yikes... Most either had some huge purchase costs or subscription based plans. There were one or two "free" packages but were quite limited in what they could do...

Found, downloaded and installed the latest version of Blender... Started it up... Almost fell off the chair... I thought the really old version of Blender was intimidating!! I am not sure I have enough years left in me to learn everything... For free and open source software it sure has pretty much all the "bells and whistles"... Really impressive... but scary!

Time to checkout tutorials again... *gulp*
Logic is the beginning of wisdom.
I used Maya a lot at the university. It was a bit scary at first, but back then I was young and hungry. These days I can buy a game and throw it in the bin if I don't understand the controls within five minutes.
Yep. Just checked Maya... $2,820 per year!! Ouch! I will keep researching but I am of the opinion that the results may be similar... I have grabbed an animation tutorial for blender... looks interesting... Also a tutorial on 'rigging'... not too sure that I am reading for that kind of animation yet... lol It certainly looks fascinating... When and if I create a model I will probably need to know the step-by-step procedures to include into N7. I am going to assume that S3D will use the ever-popular OBJ format... No promises as to when or even the quality... lol I think I should start with the standard static objects like a wooden crate or a ball... lol Sounds like fun!
Yeah, but don't forget that models for s3d must have stupidly low polygon count (quake, ps1, n64 level) Smile At university I remember studying algorithms for mesh simplification (lowering the number of polygons), because software 3d rendering was my biggest interest back then. But probably most modelling software contain tools for that!

Hm ... what file formats can Paint 3D (comes with Windows) export, I wonder?
Paint 3D? As a Linux user I had to look it up. Import/open: PNG, JPG, JFIF, GIF, TIF/TIFF, and ICO files, as well 3MF, STL, PLY, OBJ, and other 3D models. 2D Export: PNG, JPG, BMP,, GIF, TIF and video MP4 GIF. 3D Export: 3MF, STL, PLY and OBJ

Apparently you can also send the 3D image to a 3D Printer...

Note: All info from a few tutorials...